Saturday, June 30, 2012

Wordplay: Day 1

I think I would be needing a codename or a "plaka" for myself soon so I won't feel out of place with my students named Tag-1, Nong-G, Dave-G, Flixy-1, Nasty-G, Little Thugz, Kian, Red and Oblax (also known as Pekeng Kalbo). 



Today's the first day of the poetry/rap class that I'm handling for the next five Saturdays for the ALS (Alternative Learning System) learners of Pasig City under the Uplift Pilipinas Movement. Their natural talent for words and rhythm is remarkable! Here's a sample of our impromptu session that we did at the Vocal Training Room of the Youth Development Center of Pasig:



Today we discussed and rapped the poems of Jose Rizal (Sa Aking mga Kababata), Ildelfonso Santos (Sa Tabi ng Dagat), and King David (Psalm 23). 

Together we will learn new words (armed with a Tagalog Thesaurus) and new ways on how to express those innermost thoughts and feelings. And if anyone knows a famous rapper who could jam with us and give tips to the students, please message me. I'm sure the students would be delighted and inspired.

Next Saturday, we will be reading/rapping our new poems. And we will plunge into another session of thoughts and dreams told in words and rhythms. 

:)

PS: Every Friday, we have poetry sessions with another batch of ALS Students in another Learning Center. And I'd like to share a poem written by Mariefhel (a 15-year-old girl who wants to be a fashion designer someday).



No comments:

Post a Comment